L. E. Shaw Elementary School is a grade Primary to Five school with a total of 125 students and 6 classrooms. It was opened in September 1950 and is named for Lloyd Ethelburt Shaw, a member of the Shaw Brick family. The school, named in his honor, is located on Oak Island Road in Avonport. Avonport is a rural, farming community within the municipality of Kings County. Its catchment area includes the Glooscap First Nation Reserve and is located between the towns of Wolfville and Hantsport.